Warren road, Kingston upon Thames
Telegraph House, formerly known as Telegraph Cottage, was historically used as the main residence of General Dwight D. Eisenhower in the months leading up to D-Day. Telegraph House is an excellent example of quality, elegance and attention to the smallest detail that this particular client wanted to portray. The visuals show the passion and expertise that run through our work and give a sense of the uncompromising quality that we provide
Case study about this projec
Telegraph Cottage, in Warren Road, Kingston upon Thames, was used as the main residence of General Dwight D. Eisenhower in the months leading up to D-Day. Eisenhower’s headquarters was nearby at Bushy Park.
Very few people knew that Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander and the man who would take the decision to launch D-Day, was living there. His small staff went to great efforts to maintain his privacy and to avoid reminders of the war, so that the cottage began a kind of refuge and Eisenhower had some brief respite from the pressures of his job. Only a few comrades such as General Bradley (who would command all US ground forces on D-Day) would visit Eisenhower here.
His staff here included Kay Summersby, who was Eisenhower’s driver: their relationship was the subject of some speculation. Another key staff member was Commander Harry Butcher, Eisenhower’s aide, who can sometimes be spotted next to his commander in photographs from this period. Butcher arranged for Eisenhower to be able to ride in nearby Richmond Park, on days when the public were not admitted, to gain some moments of relaxation.
Eisenhower had also stayed at Telegraph Cottage earlier in the war, in autumn 1942.
Telegraph Cottage was destroyed by fire in 1987. Houses built in its place are private residences: please respect the privacy of the residents. Warren Road is a private road, with no public vehicular right of way.